Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What a Game



Well, already I'm behind in this world of blogging.  Oh well - some is better than none and late is better than never, right??

So my new school of employment has a football team and a drill team that bring with it some of the thrill of "@Friday Night Lights" - but on Saturday nights!  I grew up going to watch the junior college football games for the school where my parents teach with the Famous @Rangerettes on Saturday nights (highlights included sitting in the pressbox with dad as he called the games - and of course, half time when the band marched and the girls did their high kicks!!)

In the interest of school spirit and trying to get involved I went to the first game last weekend - even before classes started.  The team did a blow out job of clobbering the poor team that drove down from Kansas for the pre-season game.  And the @Cardettes (we're the Cardinals) did a lovely pom and kick routine to start the season as well.  You all know I'm no huge sports fan, but I am a sucker for school spirit.  Turns out, I discovered on Monday I've got several football boys (aka giants!) in my math classes this fall, so I'm glad I could tell them I came out to support the team. 

Also turns out when you go to a football game by yourself, you only know a handful of people in town and you don't see any of them there and you don't really follow the game that closely, you can get a bit bored.  Fortunately for me, I brought my new camera that has some fun settings I was able to play with as the sun set, the lights came on, and the new red and white uniforms shined :)  Oh and the band is pretty decent, too - small but interesting.  They did a tribute to #Cirque du soleil and used electric guitars...hmm.






p.s. Post Title is from one of my favorite - somewhat obscure - musicals "Ragtime" - although I must confess in the musical they are referring to baseball, not football.  I never said I would stay True to the lyrics...


3 comments:

  1. good pics! and thanks for explaining the title -- I never would have gotten that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up on your blog tonight. Loved your list on those born in 1992. Are we really that old? I guess we are! And Yay for football...one of my all-time favorite things about fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun post and you're never really behind on blogging unless you choose to be. :) You don't have to post every day just however often you feel like it.

    I have seen Ragtime. Fun. I couldn't have told you the song/show though.

    Fun pics! Way to go getting into the school spirit! Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by!